digg justice
public comments | contact me | home page

WaMu Gave Grandma's Money to Crooks

special announcements

New York Times Reporting on ICT

The article appeared on May 21, 2007.

click here for more info

Thursday, March 02, 2006
footnotes to the last post
A couple things I thought worth noting related to the last post:

1. Harrison Adams
Again, the name of the verification officer. His company's name: Identity Theft Protection, or ITP.

2. 1-888-742-0880
This is the number he gives at the end of the recording to call if there are any questions. To get the recording, I called 1-866-898-7489 -- the number that had been printed on the check (in the box where the signature usually goes.)

3. Client Care Relations
This is the company that handles customer support (i.e. runs interference) for ITP. There phone number is. (It says something that their operators were much more professional and helpful than Washington Mutual's, even though I was probably more aggressive and demanding -- though always polite -- in my question of them.) This article I found is worth a look:

Hundreds hit by alleged Net drug scam

From the article:

When people call the phone number listed next to the charge on their accounts, they reach operators who identify themselves as employees of Client Care Relations in Montreal -- a third-party firm which handles phone calls for PharmacyCards.com. Operators tell callers that there's no way to reach PharmacyCards.com and then offer to refund their money.


The article led me to this site, run (I hope) by a Canadian government agency:

https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/internet/index.cfm


There I filed the following complaint:



The bureau's phone number is: 1-800-348-5358

Labels: