digg justice
public comments | contact me | home page

WaMu Gave Grandma's Money to Crooks

special announcements

New York Times Reporting on ICT

The article appeared on May 21, 2007.

click here for more info

Saturday, March 11, 2006
advice for dealing with unsolicited calls from banks
I could've sworn I was on the Do Not Call List. Whatever the case, Bank of America has been calling me a lot lately. I used to just tell them I wasn't in and offer to take a message when they asked for me. Now I say, "Good I'm glad you've called. I was just about to call you. I heard about all these pin numbers being stolen this week. Has my ATM card been compromised?"

Usually, they'll say something like, "Uh, you'll want to speak to another department," or, "Actually, I'm calling from the insurance company B of A has sold your personal information to," and give me a different number to call.

"Thank you. I'll do that now. Good bye." Click.

Actually, you could probably use this strategy with any unsolicited call -- not just banks. Just don't give them any personal information about you.

Labels: